JESUS CAMP - the most disturbing thing I have ever seen

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

MeatballEucharist
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Re: JESUS CAMP - the most disturbing thing I have ever seen

Postby MeatballEucharist » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:07 pm

Actually I heard good old cock-sucker Ted was released from the ministry and isn't allowed back and is now persuing...hold onto your hats, a masters in psychology. His church wouldn't let him back. So much for forgiveness.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5164921
Jesus man! you dont look for acid! acid finds you when *it* thinks you're ready.
-Hunter S Thompson
Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins.
-Christopher Hitchens
A lot of people pass through the thinking I'm a guru and take enough trips to understand that no, I was just a witness. I was just a witness. -Terence McKenna

Phlebas
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Phlebas » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:49 am

He'll be back.
Wake me at the zenith of the moon.

Phlebas The Phoenician

Ramen

vikinglordSF
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby vikinglordSF » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:51 am

yea even the opening made me go WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE! but the more we watched it the more we realized that those kids just wanted to please their parents and they would do whatever they were told was "gods will" So So messed up.
PirateQueen wrote:It was too much for me, I don't think I made it past the first 2-3 minutes!
"knowledge speaks but wisdom listens"-Hendrix

obviousman
Ziti Zealot

Postby obviousman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:18 pm

I heard of something on NPR today that is almost an FSM camp: Camp Inquiry. At least for young "unbelivers" (ages 7-16) a week-long camp that lets kids explore the alternatives to "Jesus camps". It sounds interesting for my future kids.

Here's the site: http://www.campinquiry.org/

This is a place where kids can be themselves. We work toward helping youth confront the challenges of living a non-theistic/secular lifestyle in a world dominated by religious belief and pseudoscience. Grounded on the conviction that kids can begin establishing habits of the good and ethical life early on, Camp Inquiry 2008 adopts a three-part focus: The arts and sciences, the skeptical perspective, and ethical character development comprise an integrated approach to this “Age of Discovery.” Campers, counselors, and teachers will address key issues around individual identity, forging trusting relationships, establishing a sense of local and global community, and living with respect for the natural world.

I thought this would be useful.
I reject your reality and substiute actuality.

I can't spell worth sith.

stott_s
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby stott_s » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:07 am

A camp like that would be very helpful! I've been thinking for a while now that it is really difficult to raise children in a NON-religious life. You don't have the god guilt trips and fearmongering to fall back on to make them behave.
I excersize regularly, by wading (through red tape), jumping (to conclusions), leaping (through hoops) and running (out of time).

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Postby Cardinal Fang » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:06 pm

Any UK pastafarians going to be at Reading festival this year?

Me thinking - tents, lots of drunk people. Hand out a few pirate hats, get the camera out and voila - a FSM camp for propaganda purposes!!!

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Mookalakanikki
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Mookalakanikki » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:40 am

FSM Camp ROCKS!!! But what will we do with the kids for a week while we're off getting drunk off our a**es and loading up on carbs?

Ever seen the South Park episode about Jewbilee? Kind of like the Jesus camp, except without the Jesus.

FirstMateNate
Ziti Zealot

Postby FirstMateNate » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:53 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:Maybe we should have an FSM camp. I can think of nothing more fun than a week of running around dressed as a pirate, eating loads of pasta and drinking grog.

A very yarr idea indeed!
I'll run the boatbuilding workshop!

-N

WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby WelshRarePasta » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:56 pm

I was forced as a child to attend something not dissimilar to Jesus Camp. It was a key step in freeing my mind from the bonds of organized religion. Some of that shit is ridiculous even to a 9 year old.

People often comment on how children are resilient (especially when trying to make themselves feel better). That may or may not be the case, but I suspect that children are much more difficult to brainwash than adults.

Jesus Camp and suchlike are attempts by terribly frightened adults at churning out young people who will automatically confirm their beliefs. As such, although I am more comfortable with the ideas of Camp Discovery than Jesus Camp, isn't forcing children to attend an atheist camp ethically identical to forcing them to attend a fundamentalist religious camp? It still divides the human species into a false-duality... RELIGIOUS VS ATHEIST, leaving little to no wiggle-room in between, which is, I suspect, where the vast majority of human beings actually reside.
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping

DarthKaion226
Conchigliette Convert

Postby DarthKaion226 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:27 pm

Ive only seen short clips of Jesus camp, but that was plenty for me. The indoctrination of kids is sickening. That's why I propose we do it a bit more stealthily for the FSM camp. For all the kids will know, they are just dressing up as pirates. But for parents, there will be true religious discussion, and, you know, beer.

Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Elvalia » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:05 am

WelshRarePasta wrote:I was forced as a child to attend something not dissimilar to Jesus Camp. It was a key step in freeing my mind from the bonds of organized religion. Some of that shit is ridiculous even to a 9 year old.

I wasn't forced to attend a Christian camp (though it wasn't as extreme as this "Jesus Camp"), I chose to because my brother had and I was jealous. All of that shit was ridiculous to me at eleven years old. I tried out the whole Jesus thing though, because my friends were all devoted church goers (Wesleyans and Pentacostals, mostly).

Now, I don't know how I could stand it. Quotes from the camp's mainpage (http://www.camptulakadik.com):

...all of these activities are done with the goal of reaching out and changing young lives through the saving power of Jesus Christ.

...the most important person your children can meet is Jesus Christ.

I don't know anybody who's met this Jesus guy. Please tell me if any of you do.
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:

Phlebas
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Phlebas » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:06 am

WelshRarePasta wrote:Jesus Camp and suchlike are attempts by terribly frightened adults at churning out young people who will automatically confirm their beliefs. As such, although I am more comfortable with the ideas of Camp Discovery than Jesus Camp, isn't forcing children to attend an atheist camp ethically identical to forcing them to attend a fundamentalist religious camp?

I understand what you're saying. I guess the difference is that your average athiest/agnostic raises their children to question things and use evidence to support their beliefs, whereas, the average fundie raises their children to blindly follow the flock and ignore evidence that opposes their beliefs.

My seven year old has been doing christian studies at school this term. I was happy for her to attend because it exposes her to a different set of beliefs than she is used to at home. We've explained to her that different people believe in different things and told her that, just like us, she is entitled to make up her own mind.

There have been a few tricky questions. Last week Little Miss Seven asked me who god was. I told her god is Ritchie McCaw (All Black Captain). She seemed quite happy with that.

I think if we can raise our children to be self-confident and make their own decisions then the battle is half won.
Wake me at the zenith of the moon.

Phlebas The Phoenician

Ramen

Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Elvalia » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:14 am

[quote="Phlebas.
I told her god is Ritchie McCaw (All Black Captain).
[/quote]

You just became my hero.
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:

WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby WelshRarePasta » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:15 am

I'm with you, and sounds like you're doing quite the job with your daughter! I think you hit the nail on the head... let children develop, don't force them into some kind of world-view mold. I'm still leery of the idea of ideological or philosophically based camps for kids no matter what the branding is.

I have a hard time seeing the functional difference when you're still at root attempting to indoctrinate a child so that they are either 'prepared for' or 'inured against' the enemy... it's so easy to give a child a horribly false notion that the world is divided between exactly two sides, etc. I guess, if I'm ever fortunate enough to have children of that age myself, I'd likely have to think long and hard about the situation and would likely err on the side of 'no camp at all.'
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping

~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:51 am

Elvalia wrote:Now, I don't know how I could stand it. Quotes from the camp's mainpage (http://www.camptulakadik.com):

...all of these activities are done with the goal of reaching out and changing young lives through the saving power of Jesus Christ.

...the most important person your children can meet is Jesus Christ.

I don't know anybody who's met this Jesus guy. Please tell me if any of you do.

I have, and I'm pretty sure he's illegal.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image

Return to “All Things FSM”