What exactly does FSM accomplish?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

User avatar
ken worley
King of the Pervs
Posts: 3250
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:10 pm
Location: Fortress of Squalitude

Re: What exactly does FSM accomplish?

Postby ken worley » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:24 am

edd wrote:...A vague noun and a four digit number; this begs the question, ‘What are you hiding, sketch1118, if that is your real name?’


I thought sketch was a verb now?

Oh well, I can't keep up with these crazy kids and their slangs.
Image

User avatar
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:29 am
Location: Denham Springs, LA
Contact:

Re: What exactly does FSM accomplish?

Postby LibraLabRat » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:09 am

Sketch is both a noun AND a verb. Funny word, that. A little....sketchy, if you will. :D
'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."
-James Morrow

User avatar
Robbobrob
Stele Second Mate
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:24 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: What exactly does FSM accomplish?

Postby Robbobrob » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:49 am

I have always seen Pastafarianism as worthy of following for two separate reasons:

1. It is fun. It's lighthearted approach and sense of smart humor is refreshing in these days of dumbing everything down. Satire is a wonderful tool and a great way not to get into too much heaviness when dealing with real topics of concern.

2. And more importantly, I have seen the cause of Pastafarianism as a just and noble cause. I have always viewed it as a plea to those who wish to interject their religious and political agendas upon our schools and scientists to at least show up with the basic requirements, ie, if you want to be taken seriously in the scientific community, you must play by the rules, using the scietific method and connecting facts and showing relationships and the like. I am very passionate about that, as passionate about that as I am about religious freedom and freedom of speech. They all go hand in hand. But if a religion wants to get invloved in science, they better bring their A-Game IN SCIENCE, and expect all their theories to be reviewed and tested and torn apart under scurtiny, just like any other scientific idea. If they can not handle that, they have no business butting into classrooms or science labs.

I work in the bio-tech industry. Without science, especially biological science based in part in evolutionary theory, our patients' quality of life would be far less (and many would die without the biological treatments devleoped).

Having said that, I would salute any theory that dethrones the Theory of Evolution, but only if it describes the factors and the causes of the process BETTER THAN and is MORE USEFUL to scientists than current theories.

In that, ID and its proponents have not even brought a respectable C-Game.

And that is why I will be a life-long Pastafarian (regardless of my affiliation to this forum or any other Pastafarians). :wink:
Mad Rob Rackham, Pirate for Humanity.

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board."

- Mark Twain.

User avatar
Conally
Ziti Zealot
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:06 am
Location: Texas

Re: What exactly does FSM accomplish?

Postby Conally » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:27 am

RAmen brother rob
:fsm_float: Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? :fsm_float:

User avatar
Edd
Stripmeister
Posts: 2241
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:02 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: What exactly does FSM accomplish?

Postby Edd » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:08 am

Okay, sketch, your back and I’m sorry but your initial post sounded like many other comments I’ve seen, here and elsewhere, indicating a lack of tolerance even though they say otherwise. I think it was really the last paragraph. That one pushed my buttons.

To answer your original question, the FSM is a mirror. A slightly warped mirror, with an eye patch for some reason, but still a mirror. Bobby Henderson held up this mirror to the Kansas school board and the Intelligent Design movement to show us all how silly they were being. And you can’t make just anything sound this silly this easily.

Many of us appreciate a good sense of humor. I was very pleasantly surprised to see how many members here are Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett fans. Many are also fans of logic and reason. Bobby Henderson came up with a great way to bring the two together and we’ve grabbed it and run with it.

P.S. I’ve also been confused with someone from the opposite gender (and a certain turtle here knows all about it)
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!

sketch1118
Conchigliette Convert
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: What exactly does FSM accomplish?

Postby sketch1118 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:37 pm

Robbobrob wrote:2. And more importantly, I have seen the cause of Pastafarianism as a just and noble cause. I have always viewed it as a plea to those who wish to interject their religious and political agendas upon our schools and scientists to at least show up with the basic requirements, ie, if you want to be taken seriously in the scientific community, you must play by the rules, using the scietific method and connecting facts and showing relationships and the like. I am very passionate about that, as passionate about that as I am about religious freedom and freedom of speech. They all go hand in hand. But if a religion wants to get invloved in science, they better bring their A-Game IN SCIENCE, and expect all their theories to be reviewed and tested and torn apart under scurtiny, just like any other scientific idea. If they can not handle that, they have no business butting into classrooms or science labs.


I read somewhere and interesting interjection to the scientific method. If you perform the scientific method ON the scientific method, then it cannot be proved to be the only way to find truth, and therefore is disproved by its own means and turns self defeating.

I thought that was pretty interesting

User avatar
darkstone
Maccheroncelli Missionary
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:46 pm
Location: Yuma, Arizona

Re: What exactly does FSM accomplish?

Postby darkstone » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:50 pm

there's a way to make a paradox out of anything.(which is why I like them so much)

User avatar
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:29 am
Location: Denham Springs, LA
Contact:

Re: What exactly does FSM accomplish?

Postby LibraLabRat » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:10 am

The scientific method is a tool, Sketch.

The thing is, you cannot use the scientific method at all on creationism and ID claims.
'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."
-James Morrow

User avatar
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:17 pm
Location: Ask yer Mom.

Re: What exactly does FSM accomplish?

Postby PantyGnawer » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:45 am

sketch1118 wrote:I read somewhere and interesting interjection to the scientific method. If you perform the scientific method ON the scientific method, then it cannot be proved to be the only way to find truth, and therefore is disproved by its own means and turns self defeating.


Interesting thing that.... Did science ever propose that it would provide you with "Truth"? If so, I suggest that you request a full refund.

There are no solid absolute facts or truths in science. Everything is reviseable should the available evidence change.

Science has never and never will provide us with "the meaning of life" or "truth" as you put it, but you know what science HAS done?

It made sure that my ass never had the chance to catch polio.

It can tell me which of my baby's mommas childrens are actually sired by me.

It created the process of fast freezing my tv dinners such that I have no chance of catching salmonila. I could go on.

Your search for "truth" might be a good topic for a teary eyed after school special on Lifetime, but your inability to find some truth in this world without clinging to outdated fables, and your insistence that your inability to find this truth somehow speaks negatively of science, is pretty damn funny.

Yes, you are likely typing these messages on a COMPUTER with a 1 GIG PROCESSOR, living disease free, in a climate controlled home, and eating foods that have traveled thousands of miles. I'd love to hear you tell us more about how science is self defeating! I mean, it didn't provide YOU with truth, so what good is it anyway?

But please, go on!

User avatar
Robbobrob
Stele Second Mate
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:24 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: What exactly does FSM accomplish?

Postby Robbobrob » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:22 am

PantyGnawer wrote:
sketch1118 wrote:I read somewhere and interesting interjection to the scientific method. If you perform the scientific method ON the scientific method, then it cannot be proved to be the only way to find truth, and therefore is disproved by its own means and turns self defeating.


Interesting thing that.... Did science ever propose that it would provide you with "Truth"? If so, I suggest that you request a full refund.

There are no solid absolute facts or truths in science. Everything is reviseable should the available evidence change.

Science has never and never will provide us with "the meaning of life" or "truth" as you put it, but you know what science HAS done?

It made sure that my ass never had the chance to catch polio.

It can tell me which of my baby's mommas childrens are actually sired by me.

It created the process of fast freezing my tv dinners such that I have no chance of catching salmonila. I could go on.

Your search for "truth" might be a good topic for a teary eyed after school special on Lifetime, but your inability to find some truth in this world without clinging to outdated fables, and your insistence that your inability to find this truth somehow speaks negatively of science, is pretty damn funny.

Yes, you are likely typing these messages on a COMPUTER with a 1 GIG PROCESSOR, living disease free, in a climate controlled home, and eating foods that have traveled thousands of miles. I'd love to hear you tell us more about how science is self defeating! I mean, it didn't provide YOU with truth, so what good is it anyway?

But please, go on!

Here, Here....Bravo....even if your Avatar is disturbing and slightly NWS.......
Mad Rob Rackham, Pirate for Humanity.

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board."

- Mark Twain.

User avatar
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality
Posts: 9297
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: What exactly does FSM accomplish?

Postby Zankou 2.0 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:24 am

Robbobrob wrote:Here, Here....Bravo....even if you're disturbing and slightly NWS.......

Fixed.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II


Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

User avatar
Clifford
Humble Hermit
Posts: 1646
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:50 am
Location: A Humble Student in Lunaticity

Re: What exactly does FSM accomplish?

Postby Clifford » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:38 pm

Conally wrote:your going to have a hard time finding someone who actually believes in the FSM. this is a parody religion, i don't know why christians are soo arrogant about there being another possible religion :fsm_float:


but it's not a parody religion, and not all Christians are arrogant
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

sketch1118
Conchigliette Convert
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: What exactly does FSM accomplish?

Postby sketch1118 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:41 pm

Robbobrob wrote:
PantyGnawer wrote:
sketch1118 wrote:I read somewhere and interesting interjection to the scientific method. If you perform the scientific method ON the scientific method, then it cannot be proved to be the only way to find truth, and therefore is disproved by its own means and turns self defeating.


Interesting thing that.... Did science ever propose that it would provide you with "Truth"? If so, I suggest that you request a full refund.

There are no solid absolute facts or truths in science. Everything is reviseable should the available evidence change.

Science has never and never will provide us with "the meaning of life" or "truth" as you put it, but you know what science HAS done?

It made sure that my ass never had the chance to catch polio.

It can tell me which of my baby's mommas childrens are actually sired by me.

It created the process of fast freezing my tv dinners such that I have no chance of catching salmonila. I could go on.

Your search for "truth" might be a good topic for a teary eyed after school special on Lifetime, but your inability to find some truth in this world without clinging to outdated fables, and your insistence that your inability to find this truth somehow speaks negatively of science, is pretty damn funny.

Yes, you are likely typing these messages on a COMPUTER with a 1 GIG PROCESSOR, living disease free, in a climate controlled home, and eating foods that have traveled thousands of miles. I'd love to hear you tell us more about how science is self defeating! I mean, it didn't provide YOU with truth, so what good is it anyway?

But please, go on!

Here, Here....Bravo....even if your Avatar is disturbing and slightly NWS.......


Dude, I just said it was interesting.

did I ever say or imply that I believed science never did anything for me? Did I attack science ever?

User avatar
Josh M
Cannelloni Cannoneer
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: What exactly does FSM accomplish?

Postby Josh M » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:05 am

Your thoughts and etiquette is rather refreshing. Good job for keeping and intelligent discussion. I have also done some religious debates on Christian forums and the responses I received where sadly not as open minded as your thoughts and responses. I was getting the old "unbelievers shall be tossed into the lake of fire" and "I pray that you find it into you heart to give yourself up to Jesus and follow the word of god". I am glad that you have not brought this to the discussion.

I welcome you here with open arms; after all I love a good debate. :wink:
Our Pasta, who "Arghh" in heaven, Swallowed be thy shame. Thy Midgit come. Thy Sauce be yum, On top some grated Parmesan. Give us this day our garlic bread. And give us our cutlasses, As we swashbuckle, splice the main-brace and cuss. And lead us into temptation, But deliver us some Pizza. For thine are Meatballs, and the beer, and the strippers, for ever and ever. RAmen.
Image

User avatar
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:29 am
Location: Denham Springs, LA
Contact:

Re: What exactly does FSM accomplish?

Postby LibraLabRat » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:11 am

No, you just attempted a logical fallacy about the scientific method, upon which the entire basis of modern scientific enquiry is based.
But you didnt say anything directly against science...just the tool of logic that all of science is based on. Fine point, to be sure.
'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."
-James Morrow


Return to “All Things FSM”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests