Just a thought

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Just a thought

Postby Clifford » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:52 pm

I have thought about this on and off for a while, thus have decided to start a thread on it. My request is to either remove the hate mail section from the main site or either counterbalance it with a support mail section. It does allow those hostile to our movement vent their anger but it does also gives a one-sided view of those who oppose this "atheist" movement. To me this only increases anti-religious hysteria as shown by the "Cute, but what's the point?" thread posted by semenzato, giving a hostile image towards those religious people.

The people I know to be religious (Christians, Catholics etc) are all good people, and though not all those religious are, the hate mail section puts them in a bad light. I gave the Gospel to a Catholic friend to read and she loved it, and so did her step dad. Thus those of other faiths can be touched by His Noodely Appendage without hostile feelings, so I suggest the introduction of a support section or questions section to balance the hate/support ratio image and help those to understand our cause.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Re: Just a thought

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:59 pm

I second the motion.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant. Except in cases of accidental microaggressions, in which case please explain it, so that we may better understand.

Josh M
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Josh M » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:04 pm

I like the hate mail part of this. We don't get them too often and it’s a good way to either blow off some steam, or to look at another point of view and find ways to counter it. Though I agree with you in the sense that it makes other religious people look bad, I think that we all know that that is not the case. It all must of course come down to the simple question of "How open minded are you?" I'm confident that we all can understand that not everyone is as open minded as most people, but it's good for those people to have a say, even if they get bashed into the ground.
Our Pasta, who "Arghh" in heaven, Swallowed be thy shame. Thy Midgit come. Thy Sauce be yum, On top some grated Parmesan. Give us this day our garlic bread. And give us our cutlasses, As we swashbuckle, splice the main-brace and cuss. And lead us into temptation, But deliver us some Pizza. For thine are Meatballs, and the beer, and the strippers, for ever and ever. RAmen.

Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Zankou 2.0 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:26 pm

There is a lovemail section.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:45 pm

Where?
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Zankou 2.0 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:23 pm

I dunno, it's hidden. Ask bobby.
--Zankou II

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:59 am

Meanwhile the hate mail section feeds anti-religious hysteria

A love section must be as clear as the hate section
Clifford

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

Conally
Ziti Zealot

Postby Conally » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:58 pm

i like the idea of counter-balancing it with support mail
:fsm_float: Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? :fsm_float:

Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Zankou 2.0 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:07 pm

Well, there is a "Testimonials and Positive Experience" section, too, under "Evidence"(I think).
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:27 pm

I'm talking about a direct counterbalance to the hate mail section, than positive experience under evidence. Otherwise positive mail is less obvious and people are given the wrong picture
Clifford

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

Josh M
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Josh M » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:45 am

I really don't think we need it. After all there are members here that are of other religions and are openly and positively active in this forum. It just happens that the dogmatic Christians post the sort of messages that they do.
I don't think we will be able to get a ton of Christians to openly post that this religion is as good and theirs.
Our Pasta, who "Arghh" in heaven, Swallowed be thy shame. Thy Midgit come. Thy Sauce be yum, On top some grated Parmesan. Give us this day our garlic bread. And give us our cutlasses, As we swashbuckle, splice the main-brace and cuss. And lead us into temptation, But deliver us some Pizza. For thine are Meatballs, and the beer, and the strippers, for ever and ever. RAmen.

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:17 am

I'm talking about limiting the anti-religious hysteria. Looking around this forum there are threads with open hostility and many of those that think that the CFSM is to satire or parody religion, whereas it's only to satire Intelligent Design to make our point of keeping it out of science classrooms.
Clifford

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

Josh M
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Josh M » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:45 pm

I think it's just the way that FSMism was designed. Though it does appear to be created for hostile purpose, it was never intended to be look upon in this way. I don't think there is much we can do.

stott_s
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby stott_s » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:24 pm

I never saw it as a hostile thing. I guess it's in how you approach it. The first time I saw anything about FSM, that I actually recognized as a *legit article was something written in Stumble Upon News, commenting on the letter to the school board. That's when I first took notice of it, and saw it for the protest it is. (of course, myself, I'm just crazy enough to see this as something I can relate to, and use, because of how I think of religion)

BTW, did you know that FSM is also in the foreword of the current edition of Darwin Awards? :worship:

*there was a question in Yahoo answers about Pastafarianism, but at that time, I thought the guy who posted it was joking, since he mentioned FSM spoke to him through the computer! Way before the news article.
I excersize regularly, by wading (through red tape), jumping (to conclusions), leaping (through hoops) and running (out of time).

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:10 am

Indeed the FSM was not designed to be hostile, yet there are those who use it for hostilities and those of course who view it as hostile. There is little we can do about those who view it as hostile, but we can reduce those who use this for the wrong purpose or view it in the wrong light.
Clifford

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

Return to “All Things FSM”