How big is a Ship??

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

MonkeysInACan
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

How big is a Ship??

Postby MonkeysInACan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:01 am

How large does a boat have to be to be called a "Ship" for a Pastafarian's needs? Can it be any sea worthy vessel or does it have to be a full scale Galleon?

St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby St John the Blasphemist » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:02 am

From the Online Enymology Dictionary (via dictionary.com):

ship (n.)
O.E. scip "ship, boat," from P.Gmc. *skipan (cf. O.N., O.S., Goth. skip, Dan. skib, Swed. skepp, M.Du. scip, Du. schip, O.H.G. skif, Ger. Schiff), perhaps originally "tree cut out or hollowed out," and derived from PIE base *skei- "to cut, split." The O.E. word was used for small craft as well; in 19c., distinct from a boat in having a bowsprit and three masts, each with a lower, top, and topgallant mast. Fr. esquif, It. schifo are Gmc. loan-words. Ship-board "side of a ship" is from c.1200. Ship-shape "properly arranged" first attested 1644. Phrase ships that pass in the night is from Longfellow's poem "Aftermath" (1873). Phrase runs a tight ship is attested from 1971.

So it seems you could call any type of boat a ship until the 19th Century, when they decided to set some standards.

St John the Blasphemist
Saint of Topgallance (whatever that is)

Intelligence: What stupid people think they have lots of.
Stupidity: What intelligent people wish they had less of.

I want you to know that everything I did, I did for my country.
- Pol Pot

Check out St JtB's MySpace page here!!

Return to “All Things FSM”